It’s fascinating how the world works on a set of global principles that we often don’t even realize exist. Then you learn about it, see how it is playing out right there in your daily life and it’s like someone smacked you alongside the head…duh! This happened to me recently when I was preparing for the Re-Balance Project I am currently running. This week I am talking to my awesome Balanced Babes about the concept of time and I made a brief reference to the 80/20 Rule which got me really thinking about this universal law.
Vilfredo Pareto was a controversial Italian economist who derived a mathematical formula that demonstrated a grossly uneven but predictable distribution of wealth in society. Pareto claimed that 80% of the wealth and income was produced and possessed by 20% of the population. He then went on to point out that this principle actually applies in many situations when he discovered that 80% of the peas in his garden came from 20% of the pods. As you may be aware, this rule is often touted in business (80% of income from 20% of customers) but if you pay attention it’s pretty crazy how it applies to your whole life and you can use it to your benefit.
Economics = Snoozer..?!? You’re asking how in the world does this apply to you? Well, if you happen to be looking to do a little spring cleaning in your house or your life you might want to take this info into account. Most people wear 20% of their wardrobe 80% of the time. TaDa…makes closet cleaning easier. In most relationships 80% of the frustrations are caused by 20% of the problems…excellent, let’s not sweat the small stuff then. Eating healthy 80% of the time leaves 20% of the time to indulge…well that’s pretty do-able! See, old Freddie Parettie was onto something back in 1896!
It’s the 80% that snags us in our life and often keeps us stuck so it warrants our attention. Where do you feel like you’re spinning your wheels and not getting any traction or is there a place where you easily gain momentum? That’s where you want to hang out, that’s what you want to do more of.
The universal laws are universal for a reason…they work all the time even when we aren’t aware of them. Might as well make them work for us…especially me and that closet one!
Until next time…