Have you ever scratched your head about what the heck you should eat and WHY? It’s so confusing. Sometimes I still find it muddled even though I’ve studied a lot of nutritional science. That’s why I want to give you a basic list of the best foods to decrease inflammation in your body. Why? Who cares about inflammation? You should. Really Darling, it’s very important to care.
Sometimes an inflammatory response is an awesome thing – a beautiful example of Mother Nature kicking butt to heal a sprain, a cut, or something that just happened. But this response is not meant to be ongoing so when it’s happening in our body slowly over a long time it can be a bad scene and increase the chance of some pretty nasty illnesses. Research has shown that constant low grade inflammation is at the root of most chronic disease (ex. arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, irritable bowel and more). It’s really hard to live your best life and feel like you’re giving it your all with this kind of thing going on!
But here’s the thing – it’s within your control to manage chronic inflammation. Simply put, what you DO every day will affect the cells in your body and may increase or decrease your chance of getting some yucky sickness over time. It’s not a guarantee but there’s some pretty solid evidence it can make a big difference.
One of the things we all DO every day is eat food. What goes in has a profound effect on our well-being so I want to give you a list of a few top foods that have been shown to decrease inflammation.
EXCELLENT ANTI-INFLAMMATORY FOODS
1. Leafy green veggies – you know this but are you doing it?
2. Celery-also an anti-oxidant and good source of potassium which is really important
3. Beets – let’s just put this baby on the Superfood list it has so many great benefits
4. Broccoli – just like Mom always said
5. Blueberries – also falls in the Superfood category, wild Canadian berries if possible
6. Bok Choy (Chinese cabbage)- who knew!?
7. Pineapple-may also help to fight blood clotting which might decrease risk of stroke or heart attack
8. Salmon (wild) – chock full of Omega 3’s which are a potent anti-inflammatory
9. Bone broth -contains many minerals that may help with joint inflammation, also has collagen which can help heal the gut
10. Walnuts- it’s a supernut for sure
11. Flaxseeds-full of Omega 3’s, anti-oxidants and phytonutrients, they are more easily digested if you grind them in your coffee grinder
12. Turmeric-one of the most potent anti-inflammatories in the world
A FEW FOODS THAT CAUSE INFLAMMATION
1. Processed foods – something that comes in a package
2. Foods with chemicals or preservatives – if you can’t pronounce it or there are a ton of ingredients or if it’s a color that doesn’t appear in nature don’t eat it
3. White stuff – sugar and flour
4. Red meat – if you eat it go for moderation
What you eat has a biochemical response in your body that is profound. Research shows that simply changing how you eat in order to heal your body has a measurable outcome difference in 6 months. This means 6 months after you make some changes your blood work will be noticeably different. In 3 years the lab work is 90% different! Almost your entire self is different because of the way you are eating. Toss in some exercise and tuning in to a more positive thought pattern and you will be feeling like a million bucks!
Hey Sweetie, you’ve gotta start somewhere so go make a salad!
Until next time…..